Thursday, March 31, 2011

Making it mine, not hers...

I'm deep in the thick of Scoutie Girl's Website Kickstart eCourse.  I'm making the switch to WordPress, which is exciting, but I'm definitely lamenting over learning a new skill.  Coding, IP addresses, and plugins are definitely not my thing.

Have you ever struggled to learn a new skill?  What did you do to cope?

I'm building my website, and including only the bits and pieces I want.  It's so hard making it mine, not hers.  I'm scanning through my favorite websites, and looking at what keeps me there (I'm greedy, so it's usually eBooks).  I don't want to imitate anyone, but it's extremely difficult to make that final decision and answer the question, "What do you want?"  

Then, Tara asks us the question... "What is the ONE thing you want your visitors to DO?"  I never thought of asking myself that before.  I just put content in the sidebar that I thought should be there, in no particular order.  I didn't make things mine, just picked what was offered.  I didn't change the colors, or the shape, or open photoshop to try to create something new.  Why not?  It's mine, and it's a reflection of me and my business.  So, I'm finally looking within to figure out what I want.  

Shouldn't we all know what we want, and do our best to obtain it?  What do you want?

4 comments:

Pretty Things said...

I totally understand what you mean. It's the same way when I make jewelry -- I see so much out there, who KNOWS what I've got stuck in my head. How to make it MINE, when I've seen ten thousand web sites, blogs, magazines, etc?

You can do it, though! Exciting venture for you!!!

Jess said...

It's tough, but I think it's so important to present our most original selves. It's definitely a process. Thanks for stopping by!

Suzanne said...

Hey -- I haven't looked at your blog for awhile, and I can't remember if the centering of your post lines is new. Just my two cents, in the spirit of commenting on your blog style: I think it's harder to read when lines are centered. They tend to leave odd portions of sentences left in lines by themselves. Good luck with your changes. I congratulate you for always "working" it.

Jess said...

Thanks for your input... I was trying something new. I'm doing a major revamping, so we'll see if I want to keep it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...