Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My little nubs...

Yes, I've been neglecting my blog... I've been having busy mornings of workouts, gardening and cooking... but my garden is flourishing right in front of my eyes and soon I'll be drowning in tomatoes... YAY!!! I picked up a new tomato plant from the Farmer's Market a couple weeks ago (It was 107 degrees here in Sacramento that day... Joseph and I spent the morning strolling through the Farmer's Market holding hands... it was wonderful!!)... it's a Cherokee Purple Tomato plant and it's just a baby, but so was my Beefsteak plant and look at what a heifer it is now!!! Remember what it looked like a few weeks ago (it's the brown round planter in the back... you can barely see the plant)...

...Oh, and here is it's first tomato "nub"... isn't it darling? I can't keep track of all the new flowers...

Well, it hasn't been all sunshine and tomato nubs around here... the only herb seeds that successfully germinated was the thyme and the other three never even made an appearance... oh, well you live, you learn. I think the soil got too dried out from the sweltering heat we've been having here in Sac, and they just didn't want to come out and play. Poor lovies, I never gave them a chance. I'm trying to remedy these piss poor conditions I've provided my poor babies by buying them a cozy seed sowing house courtesy of Ebay... YAY!!! I also decided to germinate them in moist paper towels first to give them a little running start... hopefully some will make it out alive.

I've realized I like to sow seeds myself... if I get a baby plant I feel like I'm cheating (and plus, the seeds are much much cheaper and you get TONS of seeds in one package... it's a win-win situation). I like the thought of starting from scratch and tending to it until the plant is big and strong. I know what you're thinking... this woman needs a baby, so she can stop obsessing about her mini-garden... and you would be absolutely correct *wink*...

I started a gardening journal . It's not fancy what-so-ever (it's just a spiral notebook), but it's helping me keep track of what goes wrong, things I seem to do right and I even have a gardening calendar to admire it's progress. Yes, I'm very "Type A" bordering on neurotic... thanks Mom!!... the organization keeps me sane...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...