Sunday, June 29, 2008

My Process... Practice makes perfect

Ok, so after my few days of overtime mayhem, I felt like I needed a release and when I got home last night I had a sudden urge to play... so I painted... Like I have said before my art journal is a place I allow myself to make ugly bad art (well I guess not-so-perfect-art is more like it)... My process has become a way to have fun, but also document tips and tricks I learn along the way... Here we go...

I usually start with a need to try something out... for this journal entry I wanted to try upgrading a rubber stamp by painting it with acrylic paint... a very simple idea, something I could expand on in never ending ways... This is the stamp I chose... I loved the simple and whimsical lines...



Next I mixed some paints until I got a background color I liked... I let it dry and then I mixed a darker color to glaze on the edges of the page... I will usually thin a glaze color with a little water to make it more transparent, but since I'm doing this on a journal page, and I didn't want the pages to wrinkle, I just wrapped a baby wipe around my finger and dipped it in a the glaze color and ran it along the edges of the page... (I later went back and did the same with the "pearlescent" color... a little bling)... And because I can't stand to have empty spots on my page I did a little laying down of color with my oil pastels... it looks messy, but I love it...

    I don't buy a ton of different acrylic paint colors (The Golden brand is a little pricey but glides like butter), and since I tend to mix my own custom colors I like to keep a journal of the colors I've mixed and what I used to get them... This is the page I did for this journal entry...
              On the opposite page I write little notes on tips and tricks I've discovered... for example, I discovered that my #2 Round brush worked well for precision coverage, but not detailing around the edges of the stamp... my small angled brush was better for the outlining and echoed that same delicate whimsical looked I loved from the beginning.. also, I found it was easier to blend when I applied my acrylic glaze directly to the area I was working on...

            I encourage all of you to PLAY!!!... by the way... I have my color theory class with my Mati tomorrow, so stay tuned for another little lesson...

            No comments:

            LinkWithin

            Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...