Saturday, July 12, 2008

Abstract Acrylic Class

I took another one of David Lobenberg's acrylic classes... and this one was all about abstracts... I love abstracts mainly because it gives me the right to PLAY!!!... Throw down some paint... and more... and more... and the best part is that if you don't like it you can wait until it dries and paint right over it... no waiting hours for the paint to dry...

We did a couple pieces, one of which I'm completely in love with (and the other I don't like at all, and because of the beauty of acrylics I will paint right over it and start again... and all I'm left with is the wonderful bumps left over from the paining underneath... yummy!!!)... I did a journal entry of a silhouette modeled after this advertisement for house paint I found in a magazine... here is the ad...


...and here is the journal entry using oil pastels... I wanted to keep it simple because I knew I would eventually turn it into a bigger piece... and I did...


For the bigger piece I put down a background of a tinted Yellow Ochre, and highlighted with a little gold metallic paint (love the metallic... it gives a little something in the right light)... David had a lot of circle's in his piece, and I loved it, so I took the plunger he brought to class, and per his instructions, dipped it in paint and started stamping...

One of the other reasons I love the class atmosphere is the plethora of products other students bring (especially to an abstract class)... Everyone feels like a kid in a candy story picking through an endless supply of play things... I borrowed another students Color Wash by Ranger and spritzed here and there...

After the entire background dried (only 15 minutes or so... love that!!) I used blue painters tape to mask off the area outside my silhouette painted the silhouette that lovely khaki green color, stamped the circle in the wet paint, and highlighted with some more gold and pearl paints... after that layer dried, peel off and reveal!!! Here's the semi-finished product... I still have some "texturing" to do (it's a little to flat to me)... I love the depth that peaks and valleys give to a piece... more to come... I promise to post the finished piece...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...