Monday, January 17, 2011

Week 8... Something Seasonal

Photo Credit

I'm dreaming of Spring...

It's winter here in Northern California. The barren branches are haunting, yet beautifully stretched. Contractors are busily building the newest Tim Lewis community, effectively blocking my view of the snow capped Sierra Nevada Mountains. My veggie beds are empty. All that is left is the decrepit carcass of a once beautiful tomato plant, and the brown remains of my extravagant asparagus fern. My grass is slowly yellowing, and my plant's growth spurt has come to a screaming halt. Although, we experience very mild winters here in Sacramento, I'm looking forward to Spring. Clear blue skies, 75 degree weather... heaven.


I have had two weeks off work, and I'm taking advantage of it. I'm dedicating myself to spending at least 6 hours each day to knock some important tasks off my To Do list. Joseph is worried I've been working too hard, and suggested I have at least one day to veg on the couch. Today was that day. I sat on the couch, with my cup of tea, and stared longingly out the window. I glared at the gloomy overcast sky, willing the sun to shine through the grey blanket of clouds. It didn't work. I had to snap myself out of my funk, so instead of wallowing in the weather, I went searching for signs of spring in my own home.


The orchid plant, my husband got me for my birthday this year, has remarkably started to grow a new stem and baby buds are breaking free....


I got out my 2011 Johnny Seed catalog and started planning my garden...


My sweet potatoes are thriving in the upstairs bedroom...


How is your winter going? Are you longing for Spring, or enjoying the the cold weather of your Winter Wonderland?

4 comments:

Brandi Hussey said...

I'm absolutely waiting for spring! Winter is not my favorite season, at all, and this year has been colder than usual. I never thought I'd be so happy that the temperature's in the mid-40s -- last week it was in the 20s! Toooo cooooold.

I'm glad you took a day off! Any new ideas shake loose?

Jess said...

20's?!?! Definitely no bueno!! When it gets down to the 50's I'm thoroughly upset!!
New ideas are definitely in the works. Finally finished the logo painting... check back on Friday for a speed painting video on how I put on the final touches. How are you? Anything new to share?

Laura Catherine O said...

Joining you in daydreaming about spring! I've never had a vegetable garden, but love my flowers and plants! xo

Jess said...

Laura, I'm sending you lots of spring through the air waves!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...