Thursday, September 9, 2010

Our new family addition and some garden updates...

Meet Hank, he's a 29 pound, 8 month old Puggle (Pug + Beagle) and he's the new love of our lives. His favorite pastimes include eating rocks, taking naps on his favorite pink blanket, and passing horrendous gas (yeah, it clears the room). He's a little hyper, but hopefully with a little training (and getting his boys taken off) he will settle... but I'm not holding my breath. Welcome to the family, Hank!!! We love you so much!!







And now for the garden update... I picked my first Celebrity tomato a couple weeks ago, and since then 25 more. They are delicious with a little olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper... YUM!! Here's my first tomato baby...



My Brandywine tomato plant is just starting to fruit (a little late, don't cha think?), but they are not very impressive... I don't think I pruned them often enough... busy with wedding stuff. 2011 is my year to get it right and be fruitful.
One other thing I'm trying is growing potatoes in a bag... a little idea I got from Gayla Trail on her wonderful blog You Grow Girl. My first step is to make slips from a organic sweet potato bought from my local grocery store. Here's my potato after a couple days in water...



...and after another week...



I can't wait to see, and taste, this new adventure...

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful addition to the family! Love that vegetables experiment. Maybe I will try that, too. I am not that good at the garden..but I want it so badly! Thank you for sharing. By the way I will announce a giveaway tonight...stay tuned! Enjoy the Ride!

Jess said...

I am definitely enjoying the ride!! I have made many mistakes along the way, but they only make me a better gardner. I'm lucky to have some ladies in my life that have serious green thumbs (my mother and mother-in-law), so it helps. I also recommend reading any gardening book you can get your hand on. I recommend "You Grow Girl" by Gayla Trail, and "The Vegetable Gardener's Bible" by Edward C. Smith. Oh, and Gayla Trail has a new book out called "Grow Great Grub"... and a wonderful website www.yougrowgirl.com (I can't say enough good things about that girl!!). Hope this helps... have fun planting!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...